topad

01 June 2009

Chalked up and ready to blog

Well, I have been meaning to write a gymnastics blog for a while, and have now finally gotten around to starting it. The name for the blog comes from what we used to call a Tkatchev when I was young after watching some of the older gymnasts having trouble with the move, which for some reason came back to me when I was thinking about possible names for this blog.

To start with I'll talk about the recent injury to Dasha Joura. For those that haven't heard, she had decided to have surgery on the ankle that she injured at the olympics after trying to let it heal naturally for 9 months. This will put her out of competition for the rest of the year, however, she hopes to be back for in time for the Commonwealth Games next year. I guess it won't be such a big loss for the Aussies at worlds this year given that it is only an individual worlds (which is a big disappointment in itself since the team comp is my favourite comp), although if she can't make it back in time for Commonwealth Games next year that certainly will be a big loss.

I have seen some questions about the decision to let the injury heal naturally, but as a former elite gymnast I can fully understand this decision as I always chose to avoid surgery if possible. Also, since it occured at the olympics and she had a bit of time to let it heal I think it was a valid decision. I know of some gymnasts whose ankle 'never felt right' again after surgery. However, I feel the biggest hurdle for her might be motivation. Given that the injury occured at the olympics that must have been a huge blow, especially given that she was looking so good at competitions in the lead up to the olympics. And then to find out 9 months later that it hasn't healed must be a double blow. It can be hard to get motivated when you have any injury, but this injury will be especially disheartening. I really hope Dasha can come back stronger and better, but it is going to have a tough road ahead. Good luck Dasha!

No comments:

Post a Comment